Sunday, July 8, 2012

21st Birthday Shenanigans

I returned home on June 28th, perfect timing for my 21st birthday (the 29th). And in case you're wondering, yes I planned it that way. Coincidentally it was on a Friday which happened to mean that I got to see many of my close friends and family for the first time in months all in one day.

I didn't manage to take many pictures I was too excited to remember to pull out my camera/ipod most of the time. The one time I did pull it out I dropped it and cracked the screen. Not to worry, though. It still works just fine.

So first thing I slept in. It was a wonderful start to the day considering the day before I had sat on an airplane for about 20 hours. Around noon my friend Nicole picked me up and we met my sister (Meghan), Ranee (who's house I was at in Hong Kong), and Ranee's brother (Sultan), for lunch. We went to Wicked in Legacy Place, Dedham. I ordered my first drink and we all got caught up. Then my sister hands Nicole an envelope with instructions for the rest of the afternoon and heads off to work.

We then proceed to the next stop on the adventure: Make. If you ever went to Plaster Fun Time, Make is kind of like that. Except instead of just painting ceramic figures (which you can still do), you can also make jewelry, candles, soap, glass, paper,  and cake (want to learn more? Check out http://www.makemeaning.com/buzz). We decorated a cake (shout out to my KLI family on this one). Ranee (who by the way, also happens to be my birthday buddy...hers is just a few days before mine) gave me little input as to what to put on the cake. Her only request: a blue elephant. Well, none of the items to add were blue elephants, but we did get to use three colors of fondant, and there were some other safari animals. Nicole and I decided it should be a Lion King themed cake. Now, it should be noted that Nicole is REALLY good at cake decorating. She does it for her friends on the side anyways, as well as working at a bakery. Between her and me (a slight perfectionist) the cake was a carefully crafted beautiful creation. All of the employees were really impressed (granted, they probably usually have young kids make cakes so they don't get works of art like this).


Then it was onto stop number 3: bowling at Kings...a bowling ally that also has a bar. We played a few rounds, I got another drink (Nicole is still 20, perfect since she had to drive home after), and had some fun. Nicole is definitely better than I am at bowling, but I think we're even on this one (she won at bowling, I had a drink).


After bowling Nicole left. It was SO good to catch up with her after many months apart! Keep in mind that I hadn't seen her that much over the winter even though I was in Boston because she had class and I was busy with other things, so we had about a year to catch up on. Also, she JUST got back from Rwanda. Lots to catch up on.


Anyways, next stop was Gap for some birthday sfhopping. I got a couple new dresses, a couple new tops, and a pair of jeans. Nothing major, you know? And then we were off to see mom, auntie Julie, uncle Joe, and little Brady. This is when all of the excitement caused the ipod screen to break...still haven't gotten it fixed...Brady was extra excited. I was home after months away (he kept asking why I was so far away), and auntie (mom) and Meggie were there too. Very good to see them :)


After my birthday dinner family time was over and I was off to see the rest of my friends. Ranee and I drove to our friend Nikkii's apartment where we also met Parvati (best friend) and Allison. We donned our tiaras and made our way to the T and into Boston. We met the guys (Tyler, Mike, Raphael...) at Faneuil Hall and continued the celebration. Mary, Christy, and Annalisa also joined us later on.


The night pretty much consisted of much excitement over the fact that I was home and 21, and the tall ships were in town aka, fleet week, aka, many coast guard. Much to some of our delight (like when we got to borrow their hats:

(Picture courtesy of Mary Halpin, the other young lady in this picture)
Definitely the best birthday/welcome home on record. It was definitely the mix of two events and getting to see everyone all in one day.

So thank you to everyone who made the day so special! I missed our shenanigans ^.^

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment